We're excited to invite you to apply for a special grant to win a Captain Planet Foundation Project Learning Garden® through a partnership with Festival Foods, DOLE® Packaged Foods, and the Captain Planet Foundation.
The competition is open to all schools (K-5) located in areas of Los Angeles, CA, Las Vegas, NV, and San Francisco, CA. One (1) grand prize winners will be selected.
ALL ENTRIES MUST BE SUBMITTED BY September 14, 2018.
Captain Planet Foundation’s (CPF) Project Learning Garden Program offers schools strategies for building effective and long-lasting garden-based learning programs. Gardens provide a context for multi-disciplinary learning in subjects across the curriculum. See below for more detailed information on Project Learning Garden. Please complete the following application to the best of your abilities for a chance to win the Project Learning Garden Program for your school!
Project Learning Gardens Program includes:
- Installation of 5 raised beds for veggies and a pollinator garden
- 6 Lessons per grade level (K-5) aligned to common core standards and the framework for K-12 science education
- Lesson kits filled with all supplies needed to teach lessons (3 per grade level)
- Fully-equipped Mobile Cooking Cart to demonstrate garden-fresh recipes
- Summer garden management program model
- Online professional development for teachers
Students involved in school gardens benefit by:
- Expanding their palates, taste-testing healthy foods, and learning about food origins
- Engaging in authentic science field investigations
- Manipulating the environment to understand math in real-life applications
- Recreating historical activities
- Writing across all disciplines
Headquartered in Los Angeles, where the Company began over 145 years ago, Smart & Final Stores, Inc. operates more than 300 grocery and foodservice stores under the “Smart & Final,” “Smart & Final Extra!” and “Smart Foodservice” banners in California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, Nevada, Idaho and Utah, with an additional 15 stores in Northern Mexico operated through a joint venture.
Dole Packaged Foods, LLC is a world leader in growing, sourcing, distributing and marketing fruit and healthy snacks. Dole sells a full-line of packaged ambient fruit, frozen fruit, dried fruit, and juices. The company focuses on four pillars of sustainability in all of its operations: water management, carbon footprint, soil conservation and waste reduction.
Smart & Final Contest Form
Note: Before you are able to submit the application, you will be asked to upload a signed copy of the Project Learning Garden Letter of Agreement as signed by your school’s Principal. Please complete this step before you begin the application.
If you have problems completing this form, please contact Kathy Lively at email@example.com. After submitting contest form you will receive a confirmation email.