UPPER ELEMENTARY | SCIENCE
Scarecrows and Ladybugs
Students will hunt for bugs in the schoolyard garden and research to determine if they are pests or beneficial insects. They will then take a closer look at at pests and model how they spread and discuss different ways to prevent them. Lastly, students will take a closer look at beneficial insects such as pollinators and discuss methods for protecting and providing for them.
- How can we provide or protect what beneficial insects need to grow and thrive?
- How can we control the growth of pest populations?
- S3L2a. Students will explain the effects of pollution to the habitats of plants and animals.
- S3L2b. Students will identify ways to protect the environment (conservation of resources, recycling of materials).
Explorations in this Collection
Looking Closer at Beneficial Insects
Looking Closer at Pests
Hunting for Bugs
- Insect Identification
- Sources for Ladybugs and Green Lacewings