Captain Planet Foundation’s mission is to work collaboratively to engage and empower young people to be problem-solvers for the planet. CPF is hiring three (3) Americorps VISTA members to help the organization evolve and scale its Green Heart STEM Challenge program.
This Green Heart STEM Challenge program for 2024 projects to benefit 1,000 5th through 12th grade students and 100 teachers across metro-Atlanta (with a special focus on Clayton County and DeKalb County Public School districts) and metro-Houston. Over the course of the Challenge, students will develop solutions to the climate injustices that are acutely felt by, and affecting their communities.
The VISTA team members will contribute to the goals of the project by performing activities such as working with CPF team members to program, schedule, and launch all activities and training related to the 2024 Green Heart Challenge for Environmental Justice – WATER Edition; while mentoring students and teachers over the course of the Challenge which will run from January – June 2024.
VISTA service members will also work with CPF staff members to create the Challenge content; identify experts and organize video content; build the structure for teacher training; build the judging structure; build the mentorship model with corporate teams and subject matter experts; promote and market the program to the educational community; promote and market the program to the funders, media, and community leaders; tell the stories of the winning student ideas to the communities they will impact; plan the Idea Incubator in various key markets; and various other responsibilities.
A qualified candidate will demonstrate
- Knowledge and understanding of climate justice and environmental justice issues
- Knowledge of water justice issues preferred
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience with podcast production and associated software
- Creative writing and storytelling skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Ability to follow through on projects and stay on task with minimal supervision
- Interest in the environment, science education, and empowering young people to make a difference in the world
- Be 18 years or older (no upper age limit)
- Pass a national service criminal history check
- Hold one of the following citizenship statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident Aliens and persons residing in a state that have the following legal residency classifications: refugee, asylum or asylee, temporary protected status, or deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) status.
- Candidate must have fluency in English
- Candidate must reside in the Atlanta metro area and be able to work at the Captain Planet Foundation offices downtown at least 4 days per week; with one day remote
- Candidate must have reliable transportation and a clean driving record (gas cards for travel compensation will be provided)
- Candidate must have reliable internet connection for working remotely one day/week
Timing & Compensation: This is a full-time (40 hour work week), year-long employment contract starting on Monday November 6, 2023 and completing on November 6, 2024. Americorps VISTA service members are compensated directly by Americorps VISTA which follows the Americorps VISTA Member payment schedule and living allowance for Fulton County, Georgia. (Living allowance can be found here.)
Additional Support: To provide additional support to the Americorps VISTA living allowance provided above, CPF will also furnish each member with a $400 monthly grocery card (member must pick Publix, Kroger, or Trader Joes at the beginning of employment); as well as a monthly $100 gas card to QuickTrip to offset commuting and work travel costs.
Location: This position is open to Atlanta-based candidates. The CPF offices are located in downtown Atlanta at 133 Luckie Street; with close proximity to Peachtree Station MARTA station.
To Apply: Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to Alexis Chase at email@example.com by October 4, 2023.