5 quick questions with superhero Captain Planet
1. Who are you, Captain Planet?
I am the world’s first eco-hero. I was an idea conceived by Ted Turner and Barbara Pyle, and in 1990, I was first broadcast on Saturday morning cartoons. Ultimately, It was broadcasted in over 100 countries and 26 languages – and I influenced and empowered an entire generation of kids to collaborate with their friends and create solutions to environmental and social issues affecting their communities.
2. What’s your number one mission?
To help kids understand that “The Power is Yours” to create solutions and to become global changemakers – at any age; and to understand that we share the planet and its finite resources with many other creatures and so we must be mindful of consumption and its impacts.
3. So, there is a rumor that Leonardo DiCaprio has bought the rights to your series, what do you say about that?
That would be awesome if it happens!
4. He is pretty awesome as well, would you say he is something like a Captain Planet of our world? (the non-cartoon one, that is).
Absolutely! But the truth is that everyone is Captain Planet – everyone has the capacity to be a superhero Earth and all the creatures who call it home.
5. You also have a foundation in your name, tell us a little bit about it!
The mission of the Captain Planet Foundation (CPF) is to give the next generation of environmental stewards an active understanding and love for the natural world in which they live. For close to twenty-five years, CPF has been activating generations of environmentally literate citizens across the U.S. and in 25 other countries – empowering them to protect and sustain the natural systems upon which all life depends.