In compliance with 40 C.F.R., Parts 5 and 7, Section 7.90(a), the Captain Planet Foundation has established a grievance procedure to ensure prompt and fair resolution of complaints alleging violations of Title VI, Section 601 of the 1964 Civil Rights Act and/or the CPF’s non-discrimination policy, in the administration of the Captain Planet Foundation’s programs and activities.
The grievance procedure is intended to address allegations of discrimination on the basis of:
- National origin;
- Age; or
The grievance procedure provides a process for filing a timely complaint to the proper authority and describes the process that will be used to investigate and resolve the complaint. However, the procedures do not apply to administrative actions that are being pursued in another forum.
Submission of a Complaint
A person (or the authorized representative of a person) who believes that they or a class of persons have been discriminated against may file a complaint with the Captain Planet Foundation. The President & CEO of CPF is designated as the Civil Rights Coordinator. Any complaints should:
- Be submitted in writing;
- Be filed within 60 days of an alleged violation (except as otherwise indicated in the following paragraph);
- Describe with specificity the action(s) by the Captain Planet Foundation that allegedly resulted in discrimination in violation of 40 C.F. R Parts 5 and 7;
- Describe with specificity the discrimination that allegedly occurred or will occur as the result of such action(s);
- Identify the partied impacted or potentially impacted by the alleged discrimination.
The Captain Planet Foundation may request additional information from the complainant if this information is needed to meet the complaint requirements described above. The Captain Planet Foundation may waive requirement 1.b. in its discretion in order to address allegations of potential discrimination caused by pending actions at the earliest appropriate and feasible juncture, or, for good cause, to address complaints failed more than 60 days after an alleged violation.
All written complains shall be addressed to:
Captain Planet Foundation
c/o President & CEO
133 Luckie St. NW
Atlanta, GA 30303
Within 10 days of receiving a written complaint, the Captain Planet Foundation will provide the complainant with written notice of receipt. At this time, the Captain Planet Foundation may request any additional information needed to meet the complaint requirements above. Within 10 days of receiving any additional information, the Captain Planet Foundation will provide the complainant with written notice that the complaint filing is complete.
Determination of Jurisdiction and Investigative Merit
The Captain Planet Foundation, based on information in the complaint and other information available, will determine if it has jurisdiction to pursue the matter and whether the complaint has sufficient merit to warrant an investigation. A complaint shall be regarded as meriting investigation unless:
- It clearly appears on its face to be frivolous or trivial;
- Within the time allotted for making the determination of jurisdiction and investigative merit, the Captain Planet Foundation voluntarily concedes noncompliance and agrees to take appropriate remedial action or reaches an informal resolution with the complainant;
- Within the time allotted for making the determination of jurisdiction and investigative merit, the complainant withdraws the complaint;
- It is not timely and good cause does not exist for waiving the timing requirement under section 1.b.
Disposition of Complaints
Within 120 days of accepting a written complaint, the Captain Planet Foundation will respond in writing to the complainant with resolution.