Students will observe heat conduction and insulation.
Estimated Time20 Minutes
- S3P1. Students will investigate how heat is produced and the effects of heating and cooling, and will understand a change in temperature indicates a change in heat.
- a. Investigate how insulation affects heating and cooling.
- b. Investigate the transfer of heat energy from the sun to various materials.
- Pair of gloves (1 per small group)
- Folded paper (1 per small group)
- Cloth (1 per small group)
- Metal baking sheet warmed in the sun (1 per small group)
- Model for students how to carefully touch the warm baking sheet that has been sitting in the sun with their unprotected hand then with gloves, folded paper, and a cloth. Recognize with students that the heat is conducted from one object to another when they touch.
- Challenge students to consider ways insulation is used to keep heat from being transferred by conduction.