Students will explore fungi by making spore prints.
Estimated Time1 Day
Setting RequiredInside or Outside
- S2L1d. Students will identify fungi (mushroom) as living organisms.
- Mature mushrooms (1 per student)
- Sky-blue paper (1 per student)
- Plastic cup (1 per student)
- Provide students with mature mushrooms that are safe to handle.
- Instruct students to remove the stem of the mushroom flush with the cap, then sprinkle the cap with a few drops of water.
- Model for students how to place the mushroom on the paper so the cut surface is against the paper. Then, cover the mushroom cap with a plastic cup to prevent the wind from scattering fallen spores or the mushroom from drying out.
- Allow mushrooms to sit until the next day then carefully lift the cap to reveal the spore print.