Students will use models to investigate and demonstrate cyclone hoppers.
Estimated Time45 Minutes
- S3L2. Students will recognize the effects of pollution and humans on the environment
- Small cups (1 per small group)
- Petroleum jelly (small scoop per small group)
- Popsicle stick (1 per small group)
- Sharpened pencil (1 per small group)
- Dried oregano (small scoop per small group)
- Assist students in using a popsicle stick to apply petroleum jelly to the inner sides of a small paper cup (to represent a smokestack with a cyclone hopper).
- Demonstrate to students how to carefully stick a sharpened pencil in the bottom of the cup as a handle.
- Then, sprinkle oregano (to represent particle pollutants) into the bottom of the cup and spin the cup to collect the particle pollutants on the sides by centrifugal force.
- Review the Pollution Solutions site with students to discuss how cyclone hoppers work in factories and to explore other pollution solutions.