Students will use models to learn and demonstrate electrostatic precipitators.
Estimated Time45 Minutes
Setting RequiredInside or Outside
- S3L2. Students will recognize the effects of pollution and humans on the environment.
- Balloons (1 per small group)
- Dried oregano (small scoop per small group)
- Assist students in blowing up balloons and then demonstrate how to rub it against their hair to generate static electricity.
- Then, instruct students to hold the balloon over dried oregano (representing particle pollutants).
- Review the Pollution Solutions site with students to discuss how electrostatic precipitators work in factories and to explore other pollution solutions.