Students will learn about biomonitoring and its use in monitoring air pollution.
Estimated Time45 Minutes
- S3L2. Students will recognize the effects of pollution and humans on the environment.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.3.2. Determine the main idea of a text; recount the key details and explain how they support the main idea.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.3.9. Compare and contrast the most important points and key details presented in two texts on the same topic.
- Challenge students to determine the meaning of the word biomonitoring using what they know about the meaning of “bio” and “monitor.”
- Provide students with one of three informational paragraphs that describe different methods of biomonitoring.
- Ask students to compare the texts and use evidence from the texts to develop a definition for biomonitoring.
- Explain to students that biomonitoring means using plants, animals, or ecosystems to tell if our environment is polluted.