UPPER ELEMENTARY | SCIENCE
- S4E4. Students will analyze weather charts/maps and collect weather data to predict weather events and infer patterns and seasonal changes.
- a. Identify weather instruments and explain how each is used in gathering weather data and making forecasts (thermometer, rain gauge, barometer, wind vane, anemometer).
- b. Using a weather map, identify the fronts, temperature, and precipitation and use the information to interpret the weather conditions.
- c. Use observations and records of weather conditions to predict weather patterns throughout the year.
- Journals or 8.5×11 copy paper (1 per student)
- Coloring supplies (enough for each student)
- Explain to students that they will use what they have learned about weather patterns to design a way to keep plants warm in the garden during the cooler months so they can be planted earlier.
- Give students the opportunity to research methods of season extension and work together in their small groups to draw a sketch of their idea and label the features.