UPPER ELEMENTARY | SCIENCE
- S3P1. Students will investigate how heat is produced and the effects of heating and cooling, and will understand a change in temperature indicates a change in heat.
- a. Categorize ways to produce heat energy such as burning, rubbing (friction), and mixing things.
- b. Investigate how insulation affects heating and cooling.
- c. Investigate the transfer of heat energy from the sun to various materials.
- d. Use thermometers to measure the changes in temperatures of water samples over time.
- Journals or 8.5×11 copy paper (1 per student)
- Coloring supplies (enough for each student)
- Explain to students that they will use what they have learned about heat energy to design and a way to keep plants warm in the garden during the cooler months.
- Give students the opportunity to research methods of season extension and work together in their small groups to draw a sketch of their idea and label the features.