EARLY ELEMENTARY | SCIENCE & MATH
Exploring the Effect of Seed Spacing
Students will explore, chart, and analyze the effects of seed spacing in their garden.
A few weeks
- S1L1a. Students will identify the basic needs of a plant: air, water, light, nutrients.
- Chart for each student- Record differences in Plant height, plant width, overall appearance, date recorded etc.
- Ruler/Measuring tape for each student
- Work with students to design an experiment to grow certain seeds in two ways – for example, with a seed-sized space between each and with a plant-sized space between each.
- Over the next few weeks, keep all controls consistent while observing and measuring the growth of each set of plants. Optional: Lead the students in chart the average height of each set of plants on a double line graph.
- After a few weeks, observe the set of plants (and/or analyze the measurement data that was collected and charted) to develop a conclusion on the effect of seed spacing.
- Square Foot Garden Spacing Table — http://www.mysquarefootgarden.net/plant-spacing/
- Square Foot Garden Planting Guide (illustrated table with plants and spacing info) – http://refreshingthehome.com/square-foot-planting-guide
- Square Foot Gardening Data Table and Planting Season Chart in One –http://www.thelegacypodcast.com/wp-content/uploads/chart%20for%20square%20foot%20gardening.pdf
- Cut-apart Square Foot Gardening Chart for Planning Entire Garden Layout – http://plantandplate.com/p-downloads/PlantandPlate-SFG-planner.pdf
- Square Foot Gardening with Kids by Mel Bartholomew
- Water, Weed and Wait by Edith Hope Fine & Angela Demos Halpin
- The Dandelion Seed by Joseph Anthony
- In a Nutshell by Joseph Anthony