UPPER ELEMENTARY | SCIENCE
- S4L1. Students will describe the roles of organisms and the flow of energy within an ecosystem.
- c. Predict how changes in the environment would affect a community (ecosystem) of organisms.
- S4L2. Students will identify factors that affect the survival or extinction of organisms such as adaptation, variation of behaviors (hibernation), and external features (camouflage and protection)
- Journals or 8.5×11 copy paper (1 per student)
- Coloring supplies (enough for each student)
- Explain to students that they will explore different areas of the school’s campus looking for evidence of stages of the land’s life cycle. Remind students to look for the different types of plants that were discussed in the story (grasses, herbs, flowers, shrubs, pine trees, and oak trees) and consider the adaptations of those to give them more clues about the land.
- Provide time for students to share their observations and the probable story of their school’s land life cycle through a narrative or mural.
- Discuss what the school campus may have looked like 50 years ago and what it may look like 50 years from now.