UPPER ELEMENTARY | SCIENCE
- S3P1. Students will investigate how heat is produced and the effects of heating and cooling, and will understand a change in temperature indicates a change in heat.
- c. Investigate the transfer of heat energy from the sun to various materials.
- Cold blue-dyed water
- Hot red-dyed water
- Clear container; consider re-purposing glass jars, plastic cups or bottles
- Fill a clear cup with cold blue-dyed water. Use a funnel to introduce hot red-dyed water to the bottom of the clear container.
- Notice that the red water rises by convection then the water changes to purple as the heat energy is transferred from the warmer area to the colder area.