Students will learn how to identify decomposers.
Estimated Time45 Minutes
Setting RequiredInside or Outside
- S2L1b. Students will relate seasonal changes to observations of how a tree changes throughout a school year.
- S2L1d. Students will identify fungi as living organisms.
- S2E3a. Students will recognize the effects that occur in a specific area caused by weather, plants, animals, and/or people.
- A Log’s Life by Wendy Pfeffer
- FBI by Banana Slug String Band
Read back through A Log’s Life, this time searching for examples of the fungus, bacteria, and invertebrates that aid in decomposition.
(Explain to students that bacteria is microscopic and can not be seen and was not mentioned in the text, but an important worker in the process of decomposition)