Students will make a thermometer to measure temperature.
Estimated Time45 Minutes
- S4E4. Students will analyze weather charts/maps and collect weather data to predict weather events and infer patterns and seasonal changes.
- a. Identify weather instruments and explain how each is used in gathering weather data and making forecasts (thermometer, rain gauge, barometer, wind vane, anemometer).
- b. Using a weather map, identify the fronts, temperature, and precipitation and use the information to interpret the weather conditions.
- c. Use observations and records of weather conditions to predict weather patterns throughout the year.
- 11 oz plastic bottle (1 per small group)
- Rubbing alcohol
- Red food coloring
- Modeling clay
- Clear straw
- Distribute materials and lead students in following the directions on the following website to build their thermometers: http://www.weatherwizkids.com/experiments-thermometer.htm
- Notice that just like any thermometer, when the mixture is warmed (like from the heat of your hands around it), it expands moving the colored mixture up through the straw.