PRIMARY ELEMENTARY | SCIENCE
Continuing the Tree’s Life Cycle
Students will learn about the life cycle of the tree and its rotting process after death.
- S2L1b. Students will relate seasonal changes to observations of how a tree changes throughout a school year.
- S2L1d. Students will identify fungi as living organisms.
- S2E3a. Students will recognize the effects that occur in a specific area caused by weather, plants, animals, and/or people.
- A Log’s Life by Wendy Pfeffer
- Review what students learned in the Adopt a Plant lesson about the tree life cycle.
- Explain to students that the tree life cycle actually continues to the death (and rotting) of the tree to feed the soil for a new tree to grow.
- Read “A Log’s Life” and illustrate the rest of the tree’s life cycle.
Pg 1-6 Tree
Pg 7-12 Log
Pg 13-20 Rotting Log
Pg 21-24 Soil
Pg 25-26 Seedling
Pg 27-28 Tree