UPPER ELEMENTARY | SCIENCE
Hosting Garden-Based Meteorological Reports
Students will create a meteorological broadcast for garden growers.
- S4E4. Students will analyze weather charts/maps and collect weather data to predict weather events and infer patterns and seasonal changes.
- a. Identify weather instruments and explain how each is used in gathering weather data and making forecasts (thermometer, rain gauge, barometer, wind vane, anemometer).
- b. Using a weather map, identify the fronts, temperature, and precipitation and use the information to interpret the weather conditions.
- c. Use observations and records of weather conditions to predict weather patterns throughout the year.
- d. Differentiate between weather and climate.
- Challenge small groups of students to prepare a meteorological broadcast for garden growers.Broadcasts should :
Report on current conditions, based on data from weather instruments
Predict future conditions, based on research of weather to the west
Predict first / last frost date for planting and harvesting, based on research
Feature current weather trend and differentiate between weather and climate
(drought, rain, cold, heat, etc.)
- Create a backdrop for small groups to present their broadcasts. If possible, record to share with the greater community.