PRIMARY ELEMENTARY | SCIENCE
Students will dissect plant parts to build an understanding of their purpose then write creative plant prescriptions to address their needs.
Concepts: Plant Needs | Plant Parts
- What do each of the plant parts provide for the plant?
- How can we provide or protect what plants need to grow and thrive?
- S1L1a. Students will identify the basic needs of a plant: air, water, light, nutrients.
- S1L1c. Students will identify the parts of a plant: root, stem, leaf, and flower.
- Video on parts of a plant –http://www.brainpopjr.com/science/plants/partsofaplant/preview.weml
- George Washington Carver as a Plant Doctor –http://www.biography.com/news/george-washington-carver-facts-national-peanut-month
- Simulated apple time-lapse film – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEwmUbzN_-g
- Zucchini squash time lapse – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocB578GARk8
- ‘Plant Doctor’ coloring sheet – http://www.hmcoloringpages.com/free-printable-coloring-pages/tigger-playing-plant-doctor/
- For assistance in diagnosing unhealthy plants, your local extension agency website or visit What’s Wrong with My Plant? –http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/diagnose/plant/
- In the Garden with Dr. Carver by Susan Grigsby