PRIMARY ELEMENTARY | HEALTH & NUTRITION | SCIENCE
Plant Parts Salad
Students will harvest vegetables from the garden, taste a variety of plants and
learn about their nutritional value. Students will learn parts of a plant by
making a ‘plant parts salad.’
Concepts: Plant Parts | Healthy Choices
- How can we identify each of the plant parts in our schoolyard garden?
- What do each of the plant parts provide for the plant?
- How does eating a variety of plant parts nourish our bodies?
- S1L1c. Students will identify the parts of a plant: root, stem, leaf, and flower.
- HE1a. Students will tell how healthy behaviors impact personal health and wellness.
- Video on parts of a plant – http://www.brainpopjr.com/science/plants/partsofaplant/preview.weml
- Eating a Rainbow – https://www.wholekidsfoundation.org/downloads/better-bites/better-bites-eat-a-rainbow.pdf
- The Healthy Eating Plate and Nutrition Knowledge – http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/
- Eat Healthy, Feel Great by William Sears
- The Vegetables We Eat by Gail Gibbons (Provided in Lesson Kit)
- Good Enough to Eat by Lizzy Rockwell (Provided in Lesson Kit)