UPPER ELEMENTARY | SCIENCE
Reconstructing the Owl's Food Web and Energy Pyramid
Students will describe the roles of organisms and the flow of energy within an ecosystem.
- S4L1. Students will describe the roles of organisms and the flow of energy within an ecosystem.
- a. Identify the roles of producers, consumers, and decomposers in a community.
- b. Demonstrate the flow of energy through a food web/food chain beginning with sunlight and including producers, consumers, and decomposers.
- Owl Pellet Bone Chart www.biologycorner.com/resources/Owl_Pellet_Bone_Chart_grid.pdf
- Food Pyramids of Numbers and Biomass http://igbiologyy.blogspot.com/2014/03/109-food-pyramids-of-numbers-biomass.html
- Journals or 8.5×11 copy paper (1 per student)
- Coloring supplies (enough for each student)
- Given a list of findings from owl pellets, students can research the prey animals found in the owl pellet and determine the diet of that prey from a field guide.
- From there, students can reconstruct the owl’s food chain or web to the garden (producer) level with the sun as the energy source.