UPPER ELEMENTARY | SCIENCE
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.4.MD.C.5 Recognize angles as geometric shapes that are formed wherever two rays share a common endpoint, and understand concepts of angle measurement.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.4.MD.C.6 Measure angles in whole-number degrees using a protractor. Sketch angles of specified measure.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.4.G.A.1 Draw points, lines, line segments, rays, angles (right, acute, obtuse), and perpendicular and parallel lines. Identify these in two-dimensional figures.
- CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.4.G.A.3 Recognize a line of symmetry for a two-dimensional figure as a line across the figure such that the figure can be folded along the line into matching parts. Identify line-symmetric figures and draw lines of symmetry.
- 30 lb kite string
- Electrical tape
- Rulers (1 per small group)
- 2-ply large trash bag (1 per small group)
- 32 inch 5mm dowels (2 per small group)
- 36 inch 5mm dowels (2 per small group)
- Distribute materials and lead students in following the directions on the following website to build their kites: http://www.my-best-kite.com/how-to-build-a-delta-kite-s.html
- Out in the schoolyard, model for students how to fly their kite. It should fly on any day when you see leaves moving in the trees or bushes. If it won’t stay up, try letting out plenty of line and then towing it up at a jogging pace – it may find enough wind higher up.