UPPER ELEMENTARY | SCIENCE
Worm Your Way Out of This
Students will explore waste diversion techniques like composting and discover how worms can be an integral part of the process. As an extension, the class can make a worm bin.
Concepts: Protecting the Environment
- Where does our garbage go?
- What are some ways to divert organic waste?
- How can worms contribute to our garden?
- Life Science
- S3L1c. Students will identify features of animals that allow them to live and thrive in different regions of Georgia.
- S3L2b. Students will identify ways to protect the environment (conservation of resources, recycling of materials).
- MCC3MD4. Generate measurement data by measuring lengths using rulers marked with halves and fourths of an inch.
- Waste Diversion
- Time Lapse Videos of Decomposition
- Earth Worms
- Soil Invertebrates: http://ei.cornell.edu/teacher/pdf/D%26R/D%26R_Soil_Invert_ID.pdf
- Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin
- FAQ’s About Worms: http://www.learner.org/jnorth/search/Worm.html
- Worm Digest: http://www.wormdigest.org/content/view/35/2/
- Earthworm Sampling Methods: http://www.nrri.umn.edu/worms/research/methods_worms.html
- Vermicomposting classroom activities: http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Education/Curriculum/Worms/98Activities.pdf