Students will describe the roles of organisms and the flow of energy within an ecosystem.
Estimated Time45 Minutes
- S4L1. Students will describe the roles of organisms and the flow of energy within an ecosystem.
- a. Identify the roles of producers, consumers, and decomposers in a community.
- b. Demonstrate the flow of energy through a food web/food chain beginning with sunlight and including producers, consumers, and decomposers.
- Given a list of findings from owl pellets, students can research the prey animals found in the owl pellet and determine the diet of that prey from a field guide.
- From there, students can reconstruct the owl’s food chain or web to the garden (producer) level with the sun as the energy source.