UPPER ELEMENTARY | SCIENCE
Students will investigate the movement of heat energy (convection, conduction, insulation) and use their understanding of heat energy to design a solar oven and to design a method for extending the growing season in the schoolyard garden.
- What is the “urban heat” island effect? How does it effect us?
- How can we use our understanding of heat energy to extend our growing season?
- How can we use our understanding of heat energy to design a solar oven?
- S3P1. Students will investigate how heat is produced and the effects of heating and cooling, and will understand a change in temperature indicates a change in heat.
- a. Categorize ways to produce heat energy such as burning, rubbing (friction), and mixing things.
- b. Investigate how insulation affects heating and cooling.
- c. Investigate the transfer of heat energy from the sun to various materials.
- d. Use thermometers to measure the changes in temperatures of water samples over time.
Explorations in this Collection
- Solar Cookers in Darfur Refugee Camp: http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Iridimi_Refugee_Camp
- Solar Cooking Project Best Practices Manual: http://www.jewishworldwatch.org/downloads/scp_best_practices.pdf
- Purple Fig Solar Cooker: http://www.instructables.com/id/Purple-Fig-Solar-Cooker/